This course is a practical introduction to the skills required to getting out safely in the mountains. The course aims to equip participants with the knowledge and essential safety skills required to start pursuing their own participation in mountain walking as a leisure time activity. This Mountain Skills Course is provided by Gary Evans Outdoors.
The Mountain Skills course is an ideal choice for walkers interested in applying their countryside walking skills to the mountain environment. Ideally, participants would have done some basic hill walking previously and have a reasonable level of fitness.
Skills in map and compass, mountain weather forecasting, movement through steep ground, planning and preparation, emergency procedures, seasonal effects and the mountain environment all form the syllabus of this course.
The course is run in the Brecon Beacons, South Wales and skills learnt here are transferable to other mountainous areas of the UK.
Location: Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Duration: 2 Days including evening lecture/workshop
Some experience walking and navigating in open county is required to make the most of this course. Participants must be aged over 14. You must also register with Mountain Training before you can book on the course (£20 or free for under 18s). Register Now.
The course includes all aspects of the MT syllabus including:
- Walking Skills
- Clothing and Equipment
- Navigation in the hills
- Environmental knowledge
- Hazards and emergency procedures
Cost: The cost for the course is £125 per person.
What You Will Need: Further details sent on booking. You can borrow equipment from us if you do not yet have your own.
What You Will Receive: As well as two days of training for expert instructors, both on and off the hill, you will receive a copy of the “Safety on Mountains” course hand book, training notes and future advice from both us at Hawk Adventures and from Mountain Training and access to an online digital logbook.
Course Dates 2019
- June 15-16
- Sept 14-15
- Oct 12-13
- Nov 9-10
|Small Group (1-3)||£295|
|Medium Group (4-10)*||£90 pp|
*Discounts available for larger groups, contact us to find out more.
Here at Hawk Adventures, we make sure your booking process is as straight forward as possible.
Our ethos is Book It, Receive It, Enjoy It!
When your activity day comes, you’ll meet your instructor at or close to your activity venue and head off to enjoy your adventure!
Our post-activity card will let you know where to access your photos at no extra charge, and it also gives the opportunity to leave a review for us and let other people know what your experience with Hawk Adventures was like.
Then it is time to see what else we offer and start planning your next adventure.
- Multi award winning activity provider taking people on adventure since 1990.
- Great value – our full days last 7hours, half days for 3.5 hours. The photos we take are yours for Free!
- Our instructors are not only great fun to go on an adventure with, they’re also highly qualified, experienced and knowledgeable in the activities they deliver.
- We are inspected and hold a licence from the Adventure Activities Licencing Authority. Safety is paramount to us and our track record is exemplary.
- We provide all the safety equipment you need for our activities, including footwear for Caving and Gorge Walking.
- We are flexible and adapt to our customers’ needs. We want you to have the experience of a lifetime.